26. November 2012 02:29
Adjacent to the S2 highway in the Anza Borrego Desert , is a small turnout marked by a historical landmark sign . It is easy to drive right by without giving it a second notice which is unfortunate.
The sign, numbered 472, marks a significant spot, where in 1847 a battalion of Mormon volunteers led by Philip St. George Cooke blazed a new wagon route west. The narrow route was widened using only handtools to allow the passage of wagons and equipment on their way into California. To circumvent the steep dry waterfall , the still visible trail was carved up along the canyon wall and continued west through the Anza ... [More]